Sunday, January 30, 2011

Are You A Prodigal Child?


Well, I would not say prodigal.  I took a deeper look into the word and it means wastefully or recklessly extravagant.  I pray that it does not apply to you.  I was referring to a portion of the bible that speaks about a son, who wanted his share of his father’s riches prematurely.  It is a very touching story that resonates with many of our decisions we made when we were younger.
            The story goes as follows: "A certain man had two sons.  "And the younger of them said to his father, 'Father, give me the portion of goods that falls to me.' So he divided to them his livelihood.  "And not many days after, the younger son gathered all together, journeyed to a far country, and there wasted his possessions with prodigal living.  "But when he had spent all, there arose a severe famine in that land, and he began to be in want.  "Then he went and joined himself to a citizen of that country, and he sent him into his fields to feed swine.  "And he would gladly have filled his stomach with the pods that the swine ate, and no one gave him anything.  "But when he came to himself, he said, 'How many of my father's hired servants have bread enough and to spare, and I perish with hunger!  'I will arise and go to my father, and will say to him, "Father, I have sinned against heaven and before you, "and I am no longer worthy to be called your son. Make me like one of your hired servants." (Lu 15:11-19)
            The story is titled in the bible as the “Prodigal Son.”  Although we may not have spent lavishly like he did, but we did want to go out on our own as quickly as possible.  We wanted to taste what the world has to offer.  We did not take heed to the many warnings our parents foretold in our ears.  We ignored it as an old folk tale.  We were younger and smarter than they were when they grew up, so we had it together.  We went to parties every weekend.   Having sex was of the utmost importance.  To those whom this apply, the drugs added the icing on the cake.  Part of us wish we knew of this life sooner.  However, there is always that moment.  An epiphany if you will.  We all at one time or another got to that point and ask that famous question.  “What am I doing with my life?”
            Just like the prodigal son who realized his error at his lowest point, we also at one point realized that our parents were right.  Any of you have children?  Have you not said now I know why my mom did this or that?  My father used to tell me all the time to save, save, and save, and all I did was spend, spend, and spend.  It is now, that I realized he was trying to show me good habits dealing with my finances.  Ladies, you know I am talking right.  Some of you see shoes, and it is like another personality takes over you.  You buy that pair of shoes and an outfit to match, knowing you have a bill to pay soon.  No worries, you will default on one bill to accommodate that one, hence the term, “rob Peter to pay Paul.” Or what about that favorite one?  Get an education!  You will be nothing without it.  Now I may sound insensitive, but this is real.  I’ve seen grown women, as cashiers at McDonald’s.   I’ve seen grandmothers working at Walmart.  Praise God, they have a job, but ask them is this how they pictured it would be, and 99% will tell you absolutely not.  
            Some of you after all these years are still at that lowest point.  If your decisions were similar to the prodigal son’s error, then take his example of humility and go before God and say you need His help.  Tell God, you have not wanted your life to be this way, and you need His help to change.  Just as the prodigal son’s father was happy to see him return and received him, so you will God receive you even now.  Get up from your fall, hold your head high, and now receive what God has for you. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment