Sunday, March 13, 2011

Then What?



Heavenly and gracious Father, I come before your throne of grace with head bowed and heart humbled, to say thank you.  Father I thank you for life this morning.  I thank you for protecting my household while we slumbered.  I thank you for allowing me to wake up in good health, and soundness of mind.  I thank you for allowing my organs to still function and my bones remaining intact.  I thank you for my eyes to see your works in nature, ears to hear your word preached, and a tongue to confess and to profess what an awesome God you are.  I thank you Father for just the simple things that we take for granted that can be taken from us at any time.  And I thank you for your mercy by way of your Son’s sacrifice.  I pray this morning, that all who read this message, are in the best of health, and in the right state of mind.  I pray that their household is in peace.  I pray that all is well where they can receive this message without any hindrance.  I pray Father that you just continue to love us and shower us with grace.  And if there is anything that we thought, said, or did that were not pleasing in thy sight, I pray that you forgive us for it, Father.  Oh, just have mercy on us, Lord.  We give you the honor, the glory, and the praise, and we pray this prayer in the name of your Son Jesus, the Author and Finisher of our faith.  Amen.  Amen.  Amen

I want a big house.  I want a fancy car.  I want to sip wine and nibble on cheese.  I want the hottest wife.  I want the hottest husband.   I want big bank.  I want to be able to travel the world at any time.  I want servants at my beckoning.  I want the finest of apparels.  I want to own expensive shoes made in Italy.  I want beautiful jewelry.  I want to have rock star status, and have Robin Leech present me on “Lauife Staoils of De Rich and Fey-mus”  These are the statements you would hear from those who find happiness in things that are tangible.  They do not see what is behind closed doors, nor are they able to tap into the individuals’ heart.  So if they were able to obtain all of these things, then what?
With all that happened with the officers of Enron and Bernard Madoff, one would think that being rich and famous is not what it’s cracked up to be.  These men had it all, and now many of them have lost everything.  These things are of the world and if you are of the world, there is no relationship you can have with God.  The bible states “Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.  For all that is in the world--the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life--is not of the Father but is of the world.   And the world is passing away, and the lust of it; but he who does the will of God abides forever.”  (1Jo 2:15-17)  The finer things in life, at least what the world states they are, are an illusion, and do not last.  These items are perishable and have no significance other than to satisfy flesh.   God wants us to consider matters of the spirit.
Solomon had wisdom that no one before him or after him had possessed, and he also had riches.  Let’s consult his words on the matter.  It reads “I made my works great, I built myself houses, and planted myself vineyards.   I made myself gardens and orchards, and I planted all kinds of fruit trees in them.  I made myself water pools from which to water the growing trees of the grove.  I acquired male and female servants, and had servants born in my house. Yes, I had greater possessions of herds and flocks than all who were in Jerusalem before me.  I also gathered for myself silver and gold and the special treasures of kings and of the provinces. I acquired male and female singers, the delights of the sons of men, and musical instruments of all kinds.  So I became great and excelled more than all who were before me in Jerusalem. Also my wisdom remained with me.  Whatever my eyes desired I did not keep from them. I did not withhold my heart from any pleasure, For my heart rejoiced in all my labor; And this was my reward from all my labor.  Then I looked on all the works that my hands had done And on the labor in which I had toiled; And indeed all was vanity and grasping for the wind. There was no profit under the sun.  Then I turned myself to consider wisdom and madness and folly; For what can the man do who succeeds the king? -Only what he has already done.”  (Ec 2:4-12)  In essence, he became bored of what he had.  Solomon chased after and obtained anything his heart desired, but when it was fully experienced, he was empty only to chase after another temporary pleasure. 
Our happiness should not be measured by foolish pleasures.  It should be measured by the love that God has for us, knowing that if we set Him as our nucleus, we will possess just what we need.  “For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul?” (Mt 16:26)  Solomon learned that lesson before it was too late.  Amen.

2 comments:

  1. Thats right man, its all vanity. It reminds me of the movie scarface, just the character breakdown that he had as the movie came progressivly closer and closer to the end. The more he gained, the more pieces of himself he lost. His friendship, his bestfriend, his mental stability. Yet when everyone watches this movie all they see is the rags to riches portion. I always wonder if people had seen the same movie as I did.

    ReplyDelete